Thursday, June 30, 2011

Your first hiking trip

That's right, you went hiking this past weekend!  My travel bug has been getting to me lately, with the nice weather around, but after the trip to the baby shower, I know better than to go very far.  Besides, it's now 3rd trimester, and I do not want to be too far away from the birthing/medical center in case you decide to come early (or anything else should happen).  Thus, I chose that we should take a day trip nearby; originally I had chosen Indiana--however, the place I wanted has had flooding issues lately, so I scouted for a second option.  I ended up with Devil's Lake State Park in Wisconsin.  I suspect we will make many trips to WI as a family--have been there a few times now and always enjoy it, plus it's easy to get there.
Not only was the travel bug getting me, the hiking bug was hitting, too.  Both your daddy and I love nature and walking in it, and this park's website boasted great views and trails that were not terribly long.  Sounded perfect to us!  En route, we stopped at a 'Summerfest' in Oregon, WI and walked around that, enjoying the parade and then some fair-type foods.  It was a nice place, great weather, relaxing fun.  Then, it was on to the park.  We ended up doing two trails: first, the West Bluff trail and second, the Tumbled Rocks trail.  The picture you see above is from the top of the first trail.  It was quite a climb for me, carrying you along!  But I did it (and so did dad, of course)!  Lots of people remarked about 'us' and how you were going to be a climber, etc.  Thankfully both hikes were in the shade and I stayed very hydrated to make sure we were safe :)  I can't wait for the days when you can enjoy the nature and scenery along with us!!

No comments:

Post a Comment