Monday, January 25, 2016

The Mexico song

You have always loved to listen to music, especially in the car, just like mommy.  I even have a playlist with your favorites in my phone for this reason.  Many of the songs, you know the titles or have assigned them one, such as the mysteriously dubbed "bathroom song", which is actually "On Se Connaît" by Youssoupha (and has nothing at all to do with a bathroom, nor have you ever heard it in a bathroom, so, yeah, no idea...)  A few months back, we had done a road trip and apparently you liked when I played "Orinoco Flow" by Enya.  Admittedly, I didn't know what the title was or what she was singing when I was a kid, either.  You did your best when requesting to hear it again, but it sounded like a jumbled word.  It took me about a dozen songs before I figured out what it most likely was.
Day before yesterday, you went with mommy to go to Sur La Table, a store that is about a half hour drive from our house.  Soon as we were in the car, you wanted "music, please," and I obliged.  After a couple of songs from your list, you asked if you could hear 'the Mexico song'.  *record scratch*  The whaaa?  I had no idea what this one was.  I went through each song of your playlist, with you telling me, "not that one" for all of them.  When we got to the end of the list and I hadn't yet found it, I went to the main list and tried a few songs from there...still no dice.
The next day, I was telling daddy about it as we all drove to Anyway's for a dinner out together.  He asked you if you could sing or hum 'the Mexico song' for us.  You stated, "I can't.  It's the Mexico song, the one from 'The Simpsons'."  Ahhh!  I knew immediately and started cracking up.  We'd watched the episode not too long ago and then listened to the song in the car a couple days later: "Canyonero", the hilarious commercial song mocking a gigantic Hummer style vehicle that Krusty the Clown ends up promoting.  The song always makes me giggle, and now it will even more thanks to its new Avery-dubbed title.  Love you lots, dear son :)

No comments:

Post a Comment